Board Minutes

Hamilton Mountain Writers’ Guild

Approved Board Meeting Minutes

January 28th 7:00pm, Zoom

Welcome

Present: Anita, Teresa, Sandra, Mike, Neil

Regrets: Rita, Carmenn

Approval of Nov. 25th minutes – motioned by Anita. Seconded by Teresa

Business arising from the minutes: Neil

  1. Website fees – no response from original creator on fees she is paying.
  2. Website updates – Neil is becoming more familiar with the website administrator work and has set up a current events link.
  3. Writing teams are in flux. Three teams have coordinators only for dispersing information, three teams have leaders. Let’s have a team leader/coordinator zoom meeting prior to Feb. 17th full guild zoom. During this leader zoom discussion about responsibilities and speaking at the Feb. 17th

Treasurer’s report – Mike

  1. Mike indicated there is $2,938 in our account. 28 paid members, 9 members paid for book 5
  2. Will coordinate with Anita on memberships and book 5

Chair’s report – new writing and special interest groups – Neil

  1. The Guild has allowed for 5 new groups to begin. These will be led by a Guild leader where members can contact the leader for work with in a specific genre or special interest.
  2. SCI/FI – Maryanne, Mystery/Thriller – Christina, Romance – Ginelle, Children’s Literature – Terry, Marketing/Advertising – Barry.
  3. Karel has resigned from the Guild. Discussion of how Karel was a part of the initial Board set up and NPO application. A comment of recognition should be included in the Feb. 17th Guild Zoom

 

 

 

New Business:

Teresa:

  • Methods to encourage members to attend monthly zoom meetings (Feb. 17, Mar. 17, Apr. 14, and May 12) Is there anything the Board can do to make involvement a win/win for members to participate?
  • Strategies to encourage team coordinators to discuss the editor’s style guide with their members to assist with the clean copy – let’s host a leaders/coordinators zoom meeting before Feb. 17th. Agreed. Neil will set up a zoom request for the leaders/coordinators and Teresa will create the agenda for discussion.
  • Suggestions to assist team coordinators to be more interactive with their teams and meet regularly.

Anita:

  • Update on book 5 process and commitment #’s 12 Fiction, 6 Non-Fiction, 3 Poetry. Perhaps we may need to consider allowing members to submit a piece in more than one genre. Discussion should take place in the Book 5 committee on this very soon.

Neil:

New member processes:

  • new member pamphlet – Discussion about will this be the new members application, with “fill in” capability and who will it be sent to. Board agreement on the pamphlet will become the new member application, yes have it as a “fill in” and it can be sent to both Anita and Mike. Neil will continue to work on the “fill in” component and send a copy to all Board Directors.
  • membership definitions, future book criteria Discussion about using this page in conjunction with the pamphlet to help new members be more informed about the different membership types and eligibility for participation in Guild published books. One line needed to be omitted.

Board agreement on using this additional page for potential new members.

  • workshopping/feedback, contacts for writing teams – Discussion about providing this to new members and to writing team leaders. Board agreement that this document would be good for writing team leaders/coordinators.
  • Historical membership page and information Discussion about these documents currently existing on the website. Board agreement, to replace these documents with the pamphlet, the membership definitions page and a contact email.
  • Website practices for new members – Discussion on the various pathways a new member is introduced to the Guild. Through the website, through a writing team leader or any Guild member.
  • New member coordinator for HMWG discussion – Discussion on this process. Board agreement If a new member coordinator is chosen and agreed upon by the Board, the member must be able to consistently represent the Guild with approved documents for sharing.

Next Meeting:  Thursday, March 25th. 7:00 pm Zoom

Adjourn – 8:25 pm