Current Events

HMWG Guild Meeting April 6, 2022, 7 p.m.

Terry Martins hosted.

We began with a moment of silence for Ukraine.

Neil chaired.

Neil mentioned the website was updated to include: the Book 6 committee pages of info under Anthology 6, including Book 6 Basics, timeline, genre, word count.

Under Current Events: Zoom dates May 4, June 1 and links are included for the next guild meeting.

January Board Minutes are now posted. They are behind as the current minutes will be updated in the next board meeting and posted to the website at that time.

Neil then asked for feedback regarding future meetings. He suggested a poll of members to see if there’s interest in meeting face to face. A location was proposed by a member of St. Andrews Church on Upper Paradise and Mohawk. We could potentially meet there on June 1, with following meetings every 4th week. There will be a fee payable to the church of $50. It was suggested members may contribute $2.00 if they are able.

We then discussed Covid protocol for such meetings.

Christine mentioned most churches have a mask protocol.

Discussed producing a poll.

Barry suggested Michael W. might create said poll.

Neil will discuss with Michael and hopefully have it ready by April 18.

Anita asked if we meet in person, would we be able to set up a laptop from the church’s wifi for those who cannot attend.

Shane suggested having something to entice more members to attend meetings.

Neil suggested having a guest speaker or special presentation for the first live meeting. This was followed by a general discussion.

Neil turned the meeting over to the Book 6 committee.

Sarah asked if everyone received the documents, and if they were oversimplified, also if any Intent forms had been returned.

Mary Anne checked and announced she’d received 8 responses.

Neil stated the Intent Forms are to be filled out by those intending to participate in the Book 6 Anthology.

Sarah noted the due date is April 30.

There was a discussion regarding including Hamilton within the submitted pieces—whether the location, or something associated with Hamilton.

Christine asked if there needed to be a reminder sent out for people to fill out the Intent forms.

Barry suggested the coordinators should send out reminders.

Bob couldn’t find his link to the form.

Mary Anne will resend it.

Barry questioned the cover for Book6

Sarah mentioned it would be a waterfall, but one hasn’t been picked yet.

Mary Anne mentioned in the template sent out, the title was in Arial, but would be corrected, and there would be easier explanations for what to do with the template.

Neil mentioned the next meeting would be May 4th, at 7 p.m.

Anita mentioned the Book Crawl on Concession Street, is April 16, from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. The guild would be at the same location, corner of Concession and Upper Wellington in front of the empty building and parking was behind the building.

Shane mentioned the Staircase Theatre is back again and the guild should interact with them.

Neil closed the meeting, thanking Terry for hosting the meeting and the next two meetings, also the Book 6 Committee for their presentation.

 

 

Guild Zoom meetings: (April – June)

*Thank you to Terry Martens for hosting all three meetings.

Wednesday, April 6th 

Link:
Time: 07:00 PM America/Toronto
Join Zoom Meeting
https://mcmaster.zoom.us/j/93008100494?pwd=WjNaR3VLM3p1ZzlsZnlWTjVtTEF1QT09

Meeting ID: 930 0810 0494
Passcode: 032287

Wednesday, May 4th 

Link:
Time: 07:00 PM America/Toronto
Join Zoom Meeting
https://mcmaster.zoom.us/j/97997107980?pwd=dE4wa3NTdk9QQTdhdm9IMlNRK054dz09

Meeting ID: 979 9710 7980
Passcode: 849951

Wednesday, June 1st 

Link:
Time:  07:00 PM America/Toronto
Join Zoom Meeting
https://mcmaster.zoom.us/j/93426207443?pwd=cnpoNkJJTWpLL3pDNWVEN3N6NkYrUT09

Meeting ID: 934 2620 7443
Passcode: 796632

April 6, 2022,                                                                                 Book Six information posted on the website under the link: Anthology 6

HMWG Guild Meeting March 9, 2022, 7 p.m.

Mary Anne Mason hosted.

We began with a moment of silence for Ukraine.

Anita chaired as Neil was absent.

Announcements:

The Book Crawl on Concession Street will be on Saturday, March 19th, in the same spot across from Shoppers, from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.

Book 6 committee is still working on the proposal. Results of the ‘Hamilton’ survey will go to the board first. If you want to participate in Book 6 Anthology, let your coordinator know first, then make sure your membership is paid up to date. Dues remain the same for 2022. Submit dues to Michael Wagstaffe. They will be prorated for new members.

The cover was mentioned; however, as previously stated, the board voted the background would be a waterfall from the Hamilton area for the next couple of books. Michael Wagstaffe would take a photo of one for the cover.

We discussed the 7 Deadly Sins of Speculative Fiction and How to Fix Them. This was an open discussion.

We talked about meeting in person and decided it may be a while. Team 2 may meet at a park when the weather warms up.

Mary Anne had 4 members in the genre chat room, mainly for sci-fi/fantasy genre. Her next chat room will be on March 23. It was mentioned this might conflict with the board meeting that evening.

Linda mentioned the cross critiquing and asked how it worked. Anita explained.

The next zoom guild meeting is April 6th

 

HMWG Monthly Guild Meeting Feb 9, 2022

Terry Martens Hosted.

Neil mentioned it will be a while before the libraries are open for live meetings.

The cross critiquing seems to be going well. Bob has cross critiqued with all groups.

Sarah will have 3 interviews at the Virtual Book Crawl on Feb. 19th at 2 p.m. She will send out the link.

There was an open discussion regarding cross critiquing. Chat rooms were mentioned. Anita suggested having a chat room for new people before the genre chat rooms.

Mary Anne will host a chat room on Feb. 23rd for genres. She will send link to coordinators.

Mary Anne will host the next Zoom guild meeting on March 9th. At 7 p.m.

Neil thanked those who have hosted the virtual meetings.

Regarding Book 6: Sarah mentioned the committee have set the schedule dates. They hope to have 25 authors, with a maximum writing piece of 3000 words. Short stories will have a minimum word count of 1000 words, maximum of 3000 words. Flash Fiction maximum word count is 1000 words. (No minimum). Poetry maximum word count is 500 words (no minimum). Each participant is limited to 3000 words maximum, up to a total of 3 pieces.

This was followed by an open discussion regarding whether there would be a competition or a theme.

The cover was mentioned. Anita stated that the board had decided for consistency, that books 5, 6 and 7 would use the waterfall as a book cover. Only the background colour would change and the Volume number.

There was a lively discussion regarding the theme, with no definite result.

The book 6 committee will meet to complete the board proposal, however deadline for submission of a clean copy was settled as August 24th.

March 9th will be the next zoom guild meeting.

 Writing Group Cross Critiquing Begins 2022

In the coming months, members of all writing groups have an opportunity to share their work with other participating groups for critiquing on a trial, scheduled basis. The advantage of this is to see how other writing groups conduct their meetings and the types of editing they practice. Visiting members can bring back practices they think may be helpful for their group. This will make the Guild stronger.

The schedule of available groups and dates will soon be posted on the website calendar. Further details will be included with information on piece length, method of meeting, and timings.

Explanations of the procedures

Most writing groups have agreed to accept 1 piece from a member in another group.  If a member wishes to submit a piece to a particular group they can request this through their own writing group coordinator, who will make arrangements.

Example

 James, from Group 5, wishes to have his piece critiqued by members of Group 2, he contacts his own coordinator.  The group 5 coordinator will then contact the coordinator of Group 2 to indicate an interested person. This should be done at least 2 weeks prior to allow for time to make the arrangements.

If Group 2 has an opening, the group 2 coordinator accepts James’ request and informs the Group 5 coordinator, who in turn informs James.

 James is now responsible to have his piece forwarded to his own coordinator one week before Group 2’s meeting. His coordinator will send it to the Group 2 coordinator, who will disseminate it to their group.

Group 2’s members will comment on the piece and send their comments to Group 2 coordinator, before the meeting date. The Group 2 coordinator will forward the comments to Group 5 coordinator and they will forward the comments to James.

 By James asking to have his piece critiqued by Group 2, he has, in fact, become a temporary member of Group 2 for that scheduled meeting. James is responsible to critique any of Group 2 submissions for that meeting.

 So, a reverse order would happen. Any Group 2 submissions for that night would be forwarded through the coordinators to James and he would send them back with comments through the coordinators. James would participate fully in Group 2’s meeting.

 

Groups do not need to exchange submissions with each other. This guild activity is invitational and open to all members if they wish to try the cross-critiquing practice.

Happy New Year, keep writing!

 

Guild Zoom Meeting minutes – January 12th

Book Crawl – January 15 at 2 p.m. will be virtual on the Greater Hamilton Writers Association
Facebook page due to covid.
Sarah will interview Carmenn regarding his now published novel, and Neil regarding the
Hamilton Mountain Writers’ Group.
The coordinators had a meeting about cross critiquing wherein a writer could have a piece
critiqued by another team. It will be set up via the team coordinator. Instructions are on the
HMWG website under Current Events and the Calendar for times of meeting for each team.
The guild dues ($25) for 2022 are due for full members. New members will have their yearly
dues prorated.
Sarah set up break out rooms to facilitate genre meeting during our guild meeting. We could
meet in various rooms then return to the general guild meeting.
Book 6 was discussed. Neil mentioned the book 5 committee had compiled an instruction
manual which can be utilized by the book 6 committee. Once the committee has been formed,
they should put forth a proposal to the board using the copy from the book 5 guide.
There was a brief discussion about the permission for submission. The book 6 committee will be
able to research this and provide a suitable form for all participants.
It has been established the cover will be continued with various waterfalls from Hamilton.
Previously Michael Wagstaffe’s photograph was used on the book 5 cover.
A few members expressed interest in joining the book 6 committee.

Feb 9 th will be the next guild zoom meeting.

Annual General Meeting

All full members: Hamilton Mountain Writers’ Guild’s Annual General Meeting (AGM) to be held at the beginning of the Dec. 1, 2021 7:00 pm zoom (Agenda, supporting documents, and zoom link will be sent a few days prior to the event. 

Upcoming Guild Zoom Meetings

October 6th, 7:00 pm

November 3rd, 7:00 pm

December 1st, 7:00 pm (This meeting will begin with  the Guild’s AGM)

September 20th, 7:20 am

Sarah Farr will be interviewed on CHCH Moring TV show for the upcoming Anthology 5 Book Launch. Check it out!

September 8, 2021 Zoom Meeting

 

There were 17 attendants.

Anthology 5 has sold 37 copies to date.

Regarding promotion for Anthology 5, Sarah will host a Zoom meeting that can be attached to a live broadcast on Facebook. Authors who have pieces in Anthology 5 will be able to read an excerpt from their piece for a total of approximately 3 ½ minutes.  It will be broadcast on the HMWG Facebook page on Sept. 26 at 2 p.m.

Sarah mentioned it would be ideal if we could highlight the Hamilton theme in our readings She also mentioned her interview on CHCH, Sept 20 at 7:20 a.m. As she had been following Annette Hamm on Twitter, (who does the interviews of Hamilton Authors) Sara had Tweeted her and asked about an interview.

Though Sarah has a few authors lined up for the live readings, she hopes for more and will then work on a schedule.

Neil wanted to know how we would get people to watch. We then discussed it.

Also, Sarah is working on a collage of authors with their books to use on her CHCH interview.

Neil mentioned publicizing stories from Books 1 to 4 on HMWG Facebook page.

Sarah has been putting up stories with comments regarding the stories, or segments from the books.

Jim told us his story in Anthology 5 was actually a continuation of his story in Book 1, so this is something we can mention on FB.

Michael W. offered to help Sarah with promotions.

Neil mentioned how would we process shareable pieces on HMWG FB page.

I mentioned each author should be putting up a photo of themselves on their own FB pages with an excerpt from their pieces. Also, I’d posted a photo of Anthology 5 on Hamilton Book News Facebook page. (We can’t sell from there, but it’s a site for Hamilton authors own book postings)

Neil said that on the Sept 16 board meeting, there’s be a discussion regarding accepting a proposal from guild members for Anthology 6. The Book 5 committee have agreed to act as mentors for a book 6 committee. Right now, the book 5 committee members are working on an instruction manual for subsequent anthologies.

Sarah asked about the proposal.

Neil mentioned a copy of the proposal for book 5 is still around and it could be used as a guide. It lists the schedule, who is involved, budget and formatting. As the book 5 committee did the formatting themselves that budget wasn’t used.

He also mentioned that Michael W. had designed the cover for Anthology 5 and as the board had already decided to utilize his design for future books, all that had to be changed was the background colour, photo of a waterfall and it’s description on the back cover. To remain consistent with our Anthologies the board had chosen to continue using waterfalls as background.

Hosting for Guild Zoom meetings, Mary Anne for October, Terry Martens for November and Sarah for December. We thanked Sarah for hosting this meeting.

August 11th, 2021 Zoom Meeting

Karen hosted the zoom meeting. There were 12 attendees.

Briefly discussed book 5 up and available for sale.   

Sarah suggested a Launch for the book – virtual reading, save it and share links on the website.

We could use Facebook live and invite family and friends to view.

Anita suggested reading snippets of our writings.

We discussed having a practice run. No date was as some are on vacation in the next month, so this will be decided in the next zoom meeting.

Margaret suggested having our book presented on CHCH as they do book reviews and as this book is about Hamilton, with the guild, the waterfall cover, and Hamilton embedded in the story it would be a good fit for a local event.

Christine that Annette Hamm on morning live would be a good person to contact.

Nothing was set.

Re: Aug 1, reading at Gore Park – Christine and Sarah attended. They said it was an informal event with most people selling books there. Christine suggested contacting Bill King later to do a presentation to the guild when we are meeting as he has his own publishing business: Atmonda Publishing. (not sure about the spelling)

Writing Prompts: 5 people shared what they’d written.

Contracts: Bob shared the contract from Doll House. He then discussed the items he’d highlighted. We all agreed the contract did not favour the writer.  Bob and Christine talked about their interaction with the publisher in detail.

Margaret mentioned looking at a contract which can be purchased online for $10 from either the Writers Union of Canada or the Canadian Author Association. (can’t remember which site I saw it on)

Someone asked about formatting books and I suggested this was something we could handle in a live meeting. I also said we should all be aware of what we could do without paying a lot of money for professionals, and we should all be aware of what was involved with publishing.

Ron asked about book 6 and I asked him to wait until the book 5 committee had its next meeting when we can discuss what we’ve done for book 5. Then we’d get back to the members.

Next guild zoom meeting is Sept 8. Sarah will host it and if she has to go away, she’ll transfer hosting to someone, but has set up the link already.

July 14th, 2021, Zoom meeting 7:00pm

Announcements:

Anthology 5 on track for publishing this month. Download to take place in the coming week. Anthology 5 will be available in eBook and paper form.

Author’s in the Park will be August 1, 2021, in Gore Park, Hamilton. 1 to 4 pm. All are welcome. We hope to have a few Guild representatives there.

Art Gallery of Mississauga is holding a read-a-loud event.

Folks attending today’s Zoom participated in a writing prompt activity. (Franklin Road was never the same…)

Reverse poetry was explained, examples provided, and members read their work.

Writing team coordinators could consider outdoor venues for writing teams to gather.

Chris from the TerryBerry will be contacted on the status of using the library for future meetings of the Guild.

Questions:

Anthology 6, New member brochure.

Next zoom: August 11, 2021 hosted by Karen Wood. Agenda; announcements,  topic for discussion: contracts for publishing. Look for a writing prompt to come along in advance of the zoom so you have time to write!

 

June 16th, 2021

Announcements:

Announcements for the website, Anthology 5 and Board suggestions for a coordinators meeting were provided.

Sarah spoke on the promotions committee work.

Anita gave a Grant update and said the permission form for Anthology 5 is on its way to the writers of Book 5.

Barry presented information on Doune Castle and an upcoming interview on Cable 14.

Linda provided a grammar refresh in two activities. Both activities will be sent to all coordinators for sharing.

Next Zoom – July 14th, 7:00pm. Beginning with writing prompts and the exploration of reverse poetry.

May 25th, 2021

Next set of Guild zoom meetings are open to all associate and full members.

July 14  7:00 pm

Topics: Writing prompts and reverse poetry

August 11

September 8

October 20

May 5th, 2021

The 2021 UK Kindle Storyteller contest is open and accepting entries!

The Kindle Storyteller Award is a £20,000 literary prize recognising outstanding writing. It is open to writers who publish in English in any genre through Kindle Direct Publishing. Readers—helped by a panel of judges—play a significant role in selecting the winner. The Kindle Storyteller Award is open for entries between 1 May and 31 August 2021.

For inspiration, learn more about 2020’s Kindle Storyteller winner Anna McNuff, author of Llama Drama.

See the UK Kindle Storyteller contest page for full entry requirements.

Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing

April 24th, 2021

The website has been updated. Thank you to Bob (Group 5), who was able to greatly assist with the recent updates. There are new links for current events, Anthology 5 and Board Meetings at the top of the Home page. Go there and check them out. Further updating will take place over the next few weeks.
Thank you to Carmenn (Group 6) who suggested listing current information for Anthology 5 and for providing input toward the inclusive statement found on the home page.

April 19th, 2021

Minutes from the April 14th Zoom Guild Meeting

  1. Welcoming
  2. Nikki spoke for the City Voices Anthology submissions. (see below)
  3. Sarah Farr spoke on the topic: writing historical nonfiction.
  4. Anthology 5: Discussion ensued concerning the minimum word count for and recommendations for Guild members who wish to propose and complete Anthology 6.
  5. Next guild zoom: May 12th Need a host for this meeting. Please contact Neil or Bob in advance.
  • City Voices Anthology

Submission Details

 Anyone 55 and over living in The Golden Horseshoe/Hamilton, or anywhere in the Halton region can submit.

Theme:  “In these dark times, it’s those small acts of kindness that keep us alive, after all. They remind us of our humanity” – R.J. Palacio

It’s been a tough year, a year like no other, but in all the difficulties and restrictions, the loneliness and the frustrations there have been acts of kindness and moments of light that helped eased the hardships.

In this anthology we want to focus on the positives that came out of a difficult year; insights realized, kindness given or received, things you did to maintain inner peace and hope.

Poetry –

Submit  1, 2 or 3 short poems or one long one.

Fiction or Non-fiction work;

Submit one piece only. Limit it to 1200 words. Please state whether it is fiction or non-fiction.

The format must adhere to the following –  12 times roman font, 1.5 spacing. No excess capitals including in the title.

Photography/Art Work

Submit 1, 2 or 3 pieces – on pictures taken in 2021.

Deadline to Submit – August 2021

Submissions will be accepted until the end of August. If your piece is accepted, you will be required to sign a release form allowing me to publish your story, art etc.  You are granting one time rights to your work however the rights of the story or artwork belong to you.

As this is a community project, please no erotica or swear words.

If your piece is accepted, you will receive one free copy of the book. Project will be completed March 31, 2022.

Any questions please feel free to email me. Nikki blueheron123@sympatico.ca

March 2021

Welcome everyone to this new current events page open to public viewing.

As a member of the HMWG you can post your achievements past, present and future here. Let us know of your most recent publishing or upcoming reading.

Keep informed on the Guild Zoom Meetings happening in 2021.

May 12.

Links for the zoom meetings are sent to your writing coordinator.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.